Thursday, January 14, 2010

The January Blahs

Ok, so it's a new year already. So why do I feel so old? I look out my window and see nothing but grey. And then, to make matters worse, KSL has been taunting me on Twitter. It all started with an early morning tweet that said:

"January is generally our snowiest month, but only a half inch at the airport, and it doesn't look like we'll see any more snow any time soon"

Normally that would be good news to me. But it was worded in a decidedly bitter way. I'm pretty sure that was the most negative tweet in the history of the world. Seriously, if they don't got anything good to say they could at least refrain from bringing me down with their depressing outlook. It should have said:

"January is generally our snowiest month, boo, but guess what? You're off the hook. Everything Al Gore promised is finally coming true. Come on party people. Let's put our hands in the air and wave them like we just don't care!"

That would have made me smile on the inside. But everyone is in a sour mood lately. Everyone wants to tell me about all their horrible lives. I'm a good listener, I'm told. That's not so great when no one has anything good to say. I need some optimism. Even my cats have been acting depressed. I woke up the other morning and Loki was sitting listlessly in the window, staring out at the grey horizon. I was like, "Good morning!" And he was like, "Meowwww....". And then I was like, "Don't meow at me in that tone of voice, Mister!" And then I started to cry and I had to leave.

Things are hairy lately. This recession is destroying my will to live. Instead of working my little butt off from Halloween until Christmas and coming out of it with loads of cash in the bank, I worked my butt off twice as hard for about three weeks before Christmas just to stay afloat through the holidays. So now it's all said and done, and I need a second job to save me when my UPS hours dwindle down to the mandatory 17.5/week.

I totally forgot that finding jobs totally sucks. Can I just rant about that a little bit. You have to pimp yourself all over town to the lowest bidder and hope that you can find a job where all the other applicants were not more awesome than yourself.

I applied for an actual photography job today. (A novel concept, I know, but desperate times calls for desperate measures.) I have a decent resume in some ways. But I hate writing cover letters. I always end up feeling all dirty afterward. It's actually recommended by all the experts to make yourself into an arrogant d-bag for the express purpose of convincing your prospective employers that they have to hire you or you might belittle them to your other awesome friends. It can get pretty ridiculous:

"I am so awesome. None of my past employers would dare deny it. I know everything there is to know about everything worth knowing about. I will make millions of dollars for you just by walking in the door. I eat grapenuts for breakfast. They are pretty nasty, but I need the fiber because I spend every spare minute in my day rescuing kittens from burning buildings. Just for the fun of it."

Ok, so I didn't put that in my cover letter. (In case you were wondering.) But I think you know what I mean. I have spent the better part of the last two weeks searching and applying for jobs of all sorts. And when I haven't been doing that I have been working on my new website which will soon be appearing online. It's about time I guess.

So, in short, I am ready to get something done. How's that working out for me, you ask? I'll let you know in February.

-Mahalo

2 comments:

  1. You are a good listener.

    And thanks for the new cover letter by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So maybe you could make money by charging people to read your blog!! It always makes me laugh!!

    ReplyDelete

Say something.