Thursday, February 24, 2011

Cool Camera

So, I went to Fujifilm.com today to see if they still produce the film that I wish to use for the Color Fest in March, and I discovered that they have been the first to think of something I have been wishing for for several years now.

The coolest looking digital camera yet:


Now, it isn't quite the camera I want to buy. For instance, it does not have a full frame digital sensor. This camera is obviously aimed at the pro-sumer market of retro tech-geeks, but there are good reasons why I wish that I could get something like this.

In my experience, I have found that people are super impressed when you carry around a huge, 15 pound monstrosity of a camera with all kinds of atavistic bells, whistles, attachments, and a ginormous, phallic lens. People say, "Wow! That is a nice camera. How did you afford that?" But, besides being a pain in the rear for the photographer to deal with, I also find that people get terribly intimidated when they find themselves in front of that beast.

On the other hand, if I point my humble Nikon FM at them:


They let their guard down. They don't take it quite as seriously, maybe. They say things like, "You have to know what you're doing to use a camera like that." They give you some sort of benefit of the doubt. Therefore it is a lot easier to take their picture when your ridiculous camera is not getting in the way.

Furthermore, most of that expensive camera is dedicated to doing tasks that a camera doesn't really need to do, like color balance, and creating histograms, and other esoteric nonsense that can be taken care of with computers, photoshop, etc. And that is why I have wished that Nikon would release a Nikon FM-Dslr. In a perfect world it would use the minimum necessary electronics to capture and store a Nikon Raw image file with a full frame sensor. It wouldn't even need to have a view screen on the back. I could do without that. It would have a knob on top for the shutter speed, and ISO, and would accomodate all Nikon manual lenses, therefore removing the need for aperture adjustment, and auto-focus mechanisms in the camera body.

It would have absolutely no automatic settings, except maybe a TTL flash setting. It would be the first fully manual, stripped down, professional DSLR on the market. It would sell exceptionally well to pro-sumer retro geeks, and me. It would be awesome.

2 comments:

  1. That is kind of a cool camera.....but in my personal experience you really have to move up to the 30lb behemoth of a graflex 4x5 to really get people let their guard down and not take you serious....expecially if you shoot it hand held, Then they think your just silly. (I just wish my graflex was digital)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately, it is impossible to be spontaneous with a 30 pound graflex.

    ReplyDelete

Say something.