Monday, March 15, 2010

She Said 'Yes'!

So, how does one write a blog about something like this? I really don't know, so I'll stick to the facts.

Yesterday was a really great day.

I have been working on putting a ring on Rachel's finger for a while now. It was at that point where everyone wanted to know what I was going to do, but I told no one anything. The secrecy was quite exhausting. Especially when I got the ring some 10 days ago.

It is no small burden on a guys mind to have the ring, but then have to wait for the right moment to pop it out and ask the question. For that matter, it's no small burden to try and decide how to pop the question. There is always that part of you that is afraid of rejection, and is sure that in the moment that beautiful woman will see through all your layers of confusion and realize that she could do much better. All that doubt started to creep in and make me crazy for over a week. Finally, it came time that I just had to do it. Part of me was sure she was going to say no, but I had to ask the question anyway.

Now, I should explain to you that my Rachel is very smart. Sharp as a tack. I didn't want to give her any warning. Of course I tried to think of some super romantic way to do it, but in the end that wouldn't really be me. I do feel romantic in my heart. So why put the ring in a pastry, or something. I have never really understood that part of the thing. I always knew I would just get down on my knee and do it straight-forward.

So what I did is I spent Sunday with her as though it was any ordinary Sunday. Then at the end of it I made her dinner. I got some flowers for her while I was picking up some stuff for the cooking. I thought that might make her suspicious, but I do give her flowers a lot. Then, as she sat down to eat, I whipped out the ring, and she went into a cute, little shock, and said, "Brandon! Don't do this to me!" But it was way too late for that. So I said some things that I don't remember. All I remember is that I was shaking and starting to cry a little. And then she said some things that I don't remember, but that ended with, "Yes, I will marry you." And then we hugged, and cried, and kissed, and it was marvelous.

So then it was impossible to eat. So we put the food all away and went down to the UC to begin spreading the word to the right people, explaining our situation. We told her family. Then we told my family. Meanwhile several phone calls were made. And that brings us right up to the present. I think I'm just barely done with the phone calls. My phone is blowing up with text messages. I haven't talked to this many people, or even texted this many people in a very long time.

Now it's time to get to work. The real fun is just beginning.

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations!! I never thought you could be so romantic:) It sounds like it was perfect! You were crazy to think Rachel would say no!! I knew you two were perfect for each other the first time I met her:) Let me know if you want help with any wedding stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute! I read Rachel's and then I read yours and y'all are just so precious.

    I hope the plans go by quickly and smoothly. Sometimes I thought it'd be harder to be the boy because you kind of walk into the whole thing not having a picture of what you want it to be like (since she usually gets what she wants).

    I love that your story fits you both so well.

    What a lucky guy you are! She didn't do too bad herself, either. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. GAH! im so excited for you two! congratulations again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you know, when I asked KaraLee, i has a co worker tell me all the things that could possibly go wrong. AND i gave her a little spiel, but to this day i can't remember a word i said other than "will you marry me?" it's a wonderful thing ne?

    ReplyDelete

Say something.