Monday, April 6, 2009

Blog Stalking

I just thought I would ramble on a bit about the weirdness of blogging. After all, these days blogging has become the it thing to do, and I think we are still coming to terms with it, and the ways it is changing the world. Never before could so many people follow the goings on of so many other people who they have never met.

I myself am not a very prestigious blogger. I only post these random things every now and then for the sake of...well, quite frankly I'm not sure why. I also maintain a photo blog for the sake of showing my friends what sort of hijinks I have been getting myself into. That one gets a lot more views, understandably, than my random thoughts. In fact it is that photo blog that has gotten me thinking about the weirdness of blogging.

Last week I posted some photos from the festival of colors in Spanish Fork, and since then the number of views has gone up trememdously. I assume this is because I posted pictures of something that people were interested in, and they are randomly finding it through google or something. I'm not really sure. The fact is, that several new countries appeared on my map, and my counter went a little crazy for a few days. But I'm not sure how I feel about the fact that my photos are now being viewed in 14 different countries in a geographical span from Seattle, Washington to Saudi Arabia. That's right, someone in Saudi Arabia clicked on my photo blog last week. Weird. Right?

In the old days you would have to be a pretty awesome photographer to be seen in 14 different countries. Now I'm not sure it means anything at all. I am definitely not on a list with David Bailey, or William Albert Allard, or anyone like that. I'm just a guy who works a day job at UPS while continually trying to become a photographer who can actually get paid by someone outside of his own immediate family. And yet, somewhere out there, in France, or Germany, or Iceland, or even Saudi Arabia, there are people huddled in dark rooms, staring at the white light of their computer and they are seeing things like this:



1 comment:

  1. FINALLY! I cant comment. I love this blog and your random thoughts. I also blog stalk you - this is part of being my friend :)

    ReplyDelete

Say something.