Saturday, September 26, 2009

A Surprise of Good Fortune

I was checking my Yahoo mail, which I never check almost ever, and discovered that last week I was among the select few who won the dubious honor of having a weekly pick in the Capture My Utah photo contest. I have always had mixed feelings about photo contests. This one has been a unique experience in seeing which ones the general public responds to and which ones they don't. The ones I like the most seem to get the lowest ratings, and ones I don't really care that much for get the highest. I'm not really sure what that means. Maybe it means that I'm not good at predicting the taste of normal people. I do have questionable taste.

The one in particular which has seemingly been recognized is a fairly insignificant shot of the McCune Mansion in Salt Lake City that I took as part of my final project for Whitney King's Intermediate Photography class at SLCC. Those were the days. Good times. Good people. Learning all about the zone system of Black & White photography, and all that good stuff about expansions, and contractions, and split-filtering, and whatnot.

Anyway, I'm just rambling. It's been a while since I had any good news for myself on the photography front, so I felt like patting myself on the back just a little. It's time to do some good stuff again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say something.