Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Rachel

For well over 6 months now, I have had a girlfriend. I know, I know it's hard to believe because I have such a terrible reputation for being a tremendous bum. I have nothing to offer in defense of the many years I have wasted lying around and comitting the terrible crime of being unattached. But I will also refuse to apologize for it at this point.

Being single for the first 27 years of life puts a man in an awkward position when he does get around to getting his self a woman. After all, a normal person has the benefit of comparing their relationships to past relationships in order to understand what is going on. I, on the other hand, had no map to follow. And so it seems I have been dragging my feet and crawling along like the proverbial tortoise. But then again, I know a few hares who have failed to cross the finish line any sooner than I. So once again, even though by Utah standards I should have married that girl and popped out two or three children by now (don't think about the math too hard), I will not apologize for my slow moving ways either. I know from hard experience that sometimes you can be the slowest person in the race and still win if you just know how to turn the corners properly.

This year for the fourth of July weekend, instead of getting wasted with a bunch of dudes in the Daybreak, I ended up spending all my time with Rachel. It was definitely a better way to spend a weekend.

So on Saturday night we went to Tanner Park to watch the fireworks. We got there a couple of hours early to secure a prime spot for the viewing, and thus we had some time to just talk and catch up. Lately we have been running around all over the place trying to please everyone who wants our presence to be at all sorts of functions. It's easy to lose track of time. So it was the perfect way to get away and spend some alone time. It went so well that I ended up telling her I loved her. Actually she tricked me into saying it, that sneaky babe, but that does not change the fact that I meant it.

So there you go. It's serious now.

I do like the way that this thing has developed. Although I have not really talked much about it in this blog, it is always on my mind. I'm just a bit of a private person in these matters. Of course the bros are constantly harassing me for details, asking me personal questions of astonishing candor, and I'm like, "Whoa there, no one really needs to know everything I may or may not have done this weekend." But it's all good. Boys will be boys. And I will continue to be quiet.

It has definitely been a learning experience. Being in a relationship is much different that you always think it will be when you have always been alone. It is also better, for the most part. I can't deny that there have been some days where I thought I was losing my mind. But those days are few and far between. And Rachel has the perseverance to put up with who I am most of the time. I am grateful for that. Even though I have no problem with who I am, I have to concede that who I am is sometimes a trial for others to put up with.

Rachel has made me realize that it is possible that someone can care about me for real. She is beautiful, and smart, and fun, and all those vague things guys always say they want. But the important thing is that somehow we manage to click together. It's not always easy, but it works. When I am with her I never feel bored. I never wish I was somewhere else. She makes me feel good about myself. She pushes me just hard enough to improve in areas where I am lacking. She makes me think cheesy thoughts, and say sappy lines, and all that fuzzy stuff.

That's about all I'm willing to say about that right now. I just thought I better say something. It was about time I introduced her into my blogging world.

3 comments:

  1. If only you could see the ridiculous smirk on my face right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to have to start reading this blog more often!!:) How else would I find out about this kind of stuff:)

    ReplyDelete

Say something.